Daydreamin' Of Freedom

I like to wash my truck 
in the middle of the pouring rain 
I take books to gun fights 
I hate seeing unarmed people
engaged in a battle of wits
Life is hard
so I only eat soft tacos now 
Let’s be honest 
none of us want the economy 
to ever be so good 
that all the graffiti artists become extinct 
America, 
how in the fuck did we elect W.
over John Kerry back in ‘04?
Am I the only one that ever looks around 
and wonders where all of 
the guerrilla poets have gone? 
America, why do we allow our country
to arrest people for giving out water?
When did human compassion become illegal? 
America, we gotta stop comparing
Presidents
to the second coming of Christ 
Sometimes when I daydream about 
what true freedom must feel like 
I wind up drowning in sadness, 
because most of us will never know 
Has the American Dream ever been about happiness?
or has it always been about complacency? 
America, how can we still believe 
that hard work will bring success?
John Henry was the hardest working man that ever lived 
he worked himself to death 
he died broke 
they made a song about him 
machines are still stealing our jobs 
America, how much longer can we pretend to be free? 
d.a. levy knew he wasn’t 
Hunter S Thompson knew he wasn’t
Ernest Hemingway knew he wasn’t
They’re all dead now 
They died chasing freedom 
America, what is your excuse? 

Dan Denton - Toledo, Oh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ivory

Crematorium (1941- 2017)

As An Insomniac