Just A Poem

A poem is not important.
It’s just a goddamned fucking poem.
It doesn’t kill the president or save a life.
It’s a bunch of words randomly thrown
around a room, across a screen, changing nothing,
helping nobody, and then, after you hear it once
in a noisy club or read it twice in a smelly book
it dies, like an elevator greeting or a subway hello.
Lots of people have written me poems and songs.
So many, that I could publish a lengthy volume
of all of these poems and songs written just for me
and then I could take it home, and I could sit there,
alone by the window, reading them all to myself.
Or, I could find a living person who doesn’t write
poems and we could sit on the couch together
and watch television and eat macaroni and cheese
and Ring Dings and grow fatter and more comatose
every day, staring at flickering images and suffering
from the lack of all the goddamned stupid poems
even if they never ever change a fucking thing.

Puma Pearl - New York, NY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ivory

VIRAL CONTAGION (BRAIN DRAIN VIDEO GAME)

Crematorium (1941- 2017)